Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm terrible at this

As stated, I'm terrible at this blogging thing. I guess I should just do entries just to get my thoughts out there, but it'd be nice to maybe hear feedback here and there. Of course of the blogs I read I don't really tell them how awesome their blogs are either. Maybe I'm just an attention whore haha.

So its been many sessions since my last post. Its been a whole month since I last wrote. Since then I've played 15 times for a total of 71 hours and 45 minutes which netted me a loss of $187. Here's some of the data from these past 15 sessions...

1/21 -800
1/22 -799
1/27 +480
1/28 -797
1/29 -799
1/30 -745
2/3 +1045
2/4 +720
2/5 +1267
2/8 +529
2/9 -923
2/10 -640
2/11 -999
2/18 +802
2/19 +1472

I'm pretty sure no one even looked at that, but the astute read would notice that all the wins/losses were strung together. I can't say I played my "A" game of poker during any of those losing blocks, but I definitely played better than the table and still had an edge over the competition, which is something I can take away from all of it. Even with this long breakeven streak, I'm still running hotter than I expect to in the long run, running at $87/hr (I expect to run at ~50-60).

I guess I'll just do a really long entry as I was meaning to do a January summary entry, but never got around to it. January was a good month to say the least. It was my most hourly intensive month, and also my 2nd winningest month in terms of cash (2nd to Nov-07 when I won a Bay101 tournament). I booked 18 sessions for 75 hours with an earnings of $6020. Overall I'm very happy at how I was able to put in that many hours, play well, and maintain my responsibilities with school as well. Hopefully there will be more Januaries to come, in poker, school, and life. Life is Beautiful :D

So to finalize this post, my session was a fun one. To start things off, I had called Bay101 at about 1:30 to get my name on the seatting list, and I ask hows the list and hear that there are a lot of call-ins (people like me, meaning if I beat them there I will have a high chance of getting a seat). I arrive at 1:45 to see the long list of call-ins.......under the long list of people waiting there already. I didn't turn out very bad at all because at the time they only had 2 20/40 games going, and soon opened a 3rd clearing 9 names off the list putting me near the top. I eventually get seated in what turned out to be a very very good game. It also helps to run well too.

The seat I had been seated at was also the best seat at the table, putting 2 loosish/passive players on my left and all the aggressors to my right. This is good because I won't have to make as many tough decisions in my session as the bets/raises will come from my right rather than my left. If I were to the right of the aggressors I will have to make decisions based on whether I want to expose myself to bluffs or not whereas the passive players will not bluff (at least not often). So I astutely begin stealing some blinds, seeing AQo 3x in 1 round and winning 2/3 of the pots and then this hand happens.

UTG(1st to act preflop) calls, I call right after with Ad2d (d is for diamonds), I think 1 more caller and then a fairly loose aggressive button raises, sb (small blind) folds, bb (big blind) calls, and everyone else calls putting 5 players to see the flop.

Flop comes 3d4d5d
I holy crap in my pants and check, and some how the other players left got it 2-bets back to me which I thought about 3-betting but thought it looked too strong and could probably check-raise the turn making mucho $s and call, left of me makes it 3-bets! and everyone calls.

Turn is Kc (c is for clubs)
and it goes for 2-bets as I checkraise like 3 players and get 2 callers

River is something that doesn't matter cause I have a straight flush.
and i beat 67 for the flopped straight in a huge pot.

Later I flop quads with 55 on a 655 flop where its headsup (1 on 1) and he proceeds to continually raise me til he gets all in on the turn for like 6 big bets (6x40).

So this game is easy. All you have to do is flop straight flushes and quads and make people put lots of chips in the middle when you hold what absolutely cannot lose. (A2 couldve lost to 67 of diamonds but that is so absurdly rare). Ran pretty sick hot, and a majority of my "tough" decisions were about how I can get them to put more chips into the middle rather than the decisions about whether I should bluff or if they're bluffing etc.

Oh and lastly, PokerStars has sucked me in with their 25% reload bonus for 250$ of free money as long as I play, so I started a little online play, more on that in future posts.

Dlow

No comments:

Post a Comment